Welcome to the best bits of Eat My Street for February 2016. What a lovely, busy month it has been with lots of changes for me and my family.
The Melbourne Food and Wine Festival is running from 4-13th of March and there is an excellent line up of great wining and dining events. Whisky tasting in a stationary aeroplane is one of my favourites but a little closer to home is the Potato Based Dinner at The Independent Gembrook. For more information and to find events near you look here.
I visited some great new restaurants this month.
- The Independent Restaurant in Gembrook. Always fun. always delicious.
- The Lakehouse Mill in Pakenham. I stopped in for coffee and it was very good.
- The shiny new train station cafe at Emerald Lake Park. Now serving coffee and ice-cream.
- BBQ Code Glen Waverley. Great Korean BBQ. My current favourite.
- Hugo’s Cafe and Dessert Bar, Glen Waverley. So many pastries.
- Polish Rye Crust Bakery in Dandenong. Excellent polish food.
- Radius Restaurant at the stunning RACV Resort in Inverloch.
- Essenza in Healseville. Tiny little Italian restaurant with a big heart.
- Riverview Cafe and Wine-bar in picturesque Warburton.
I tried a lot of new recipes this month. The vegetarian recipes from Yotam Ottolenghi were my absolute favourites. I recommend you buy his beautiful cook books if you are looking for a little inspiration.
- White Chocolate and Caramel Brownie.
- Spaghetti Squash with home-made Passata.
- French Toast with hazelnut coffee cream.
- White chocolate mud cake with a touch of coconut.
- Cinnamon Scrolls.
- Yotam Ottolenghi’s braised leeks with goat’s curd recipe.
- Yotam Ottolenghi’s roasted Zucchini with mint sauce.
- Spiced Baked Figs with ginger marscapone.
- Yotam Ottolenghi’s lightly stewed broadbeans, peas and gem lettuce.
I did have a couple of recipe fails this month. Does that ever happen to you?
So I wonder what February was like for you? For me there was a lot of settling in to new routines and rhythms and lots of extra nights out. I also spent a bit of time pottering in the garden, trying to get things tidy, loved and up to date.
I hope that you had an excellent start to your year. There are a few very exciting changes coming at Eat My Street so please sign up if you would like to be kept up to date. I think you are going to love following along in March.