Beetroot and Goats Cheese Tart
It’s important to have shared interests with your kids don’t you think? I recently read the story of a Mum who pretended to enjoy film for all of her daughter’s teenage years so that there was something they could enjoy doing together. At the right time and moment, this “shared love” of film led to a conversation that was fundamental to her daughters future and wellbeing. How perfect.
My daughter and I share a love of cooking. We also both enjoy watching cooking shows and the worst/best of the lot would have to be the UK’s “Come Dine with Me.” Ordinary people invite three strangers to their house for a home cooked meal and they then alternate the hosting duties with the others in the group. Guests also have to rank the meal at the end of the night, often with hilarious results.
I love watching people cook in such ordinary kitchens and under such strange circumstances. The quality of the cooking varies but I’m always surprised by the calm composure of the home cooks/ hosts. It also occasionally throws ideas my way for things I might like to try to make at home.
This Beetroot and Goats Cheese Tart is one such recipe. I saw it on the show then attempted to recreate it from memory in my kitchen and I pretty much loved it.
Long time readers will know the importance I place on healthy dinners that my kids will actually enjoy eating and so you will be pleased to know that this dish came under that heading! Yay!
Plus, my version of it is so plain and simple that there is really no excuse not to make it. It is a little rustic and very tasty so it comes firmly into the home cooking category. I am sure it would not complain about being invited on a picnic too.
I hope you like it.
I use store bought beetroot and store bough puff pastry. Feel free to pimp it up with fresh beetroot and homemade pastry if you would like. Sometimes it is nice to take the long road and sometimes the short.
Here it is, my simple Beetroot and Goats Cheese Tart.
- 4 balls of beetroot, grated
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 30 g of unsalted butter
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 60 ml of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of caster sugar
- 150g of soft goats cheese
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 150ml of cream
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Line a 20 cm round pie dish with baking paper and then drape over 1 sheet of puff pastry
- Bake for ten minutes.
- Heat the butter and oil in a pan until melted then add in the thinly sliced onion.
- Cook gently for 6-8 minutes.
- add beetroot, vinegar, and sugar then heat through while stirring gently.
- Pour the mixutre of the pastry then crumble over the cheese.
- Add the eggs to a jug and gently mix with a fork before pouring in the cream and a little salt. Pour this mixture into the tart base and then place in the over.
- Bake for 35 minutes or so.
Looking gorgeous before adding in the eggs. Isn’t the colour beautiful?
Add in the eggs and cream and we are ready to go.
You might also like