Chicken and Ricotta lasagne
This Chicken lasagne recipe is a dish that my husband often cooks for me. It is delicious, very cheesy and the kids adore it. I am pretty sure despite all the interesting things I have made them over the years, this is basically their favourite meal.
I used to make an excellent lasagne but I am a bit rusty these days because my husband tends to be the designated lasagne maker. I hate to admit it but his lasagne skills are now better than mine.
I love a challenge though so you never know, there might still be hope for me.
Lasagne really is one of the all time great comfort foods isn’t it?
I often think of the wonderful lasagne’s that two of my best friends dropped off for me after my Dad died. Nothing ever tasted so good.
But here it is, Richard’s famous cheesy lasagne recipe. Serve with an enormous salad and enjoy.
- 375 g of lasagna sheets
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 500 grams of minced chicken
- 800g of crushed tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons of tomato paste
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs
- 1 cup of water
- 500 grams of ricotta cheese
- 250grams of mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Cook onion and garlic in the olive oil over a gentle heat until sot and translucent.
- Add the chicken mince and turn up to a medium heat and cook until browned.
- Add the tomato paste and the tomatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and add in the sugar, herbs and water. Stir thoroughly and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Assemble the lasagna in a large dish by adding ½ cup of sauce on the base, then covering with pasta sheets.
- Add another sauce layer, then ¼ of the ricotta, ¼ of the parmesan, and ¼ of the mozzarella.
- Repeat with pasta, sauce and cheese until all the layers are complete and you finish with the cheese layer on top.
- Cover with foil and cook for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Let it stand before serving.