Exercise, the dreaded “E” word. We all know we should be doing it, and a whole lot of us also know lots of great reasons for not doing it.
- I’m a bit tired, sickly, poorly.
- I am way too busy.
- I forgot.
- the dog ate it.
- I don’t wanna.
- my ankle/ toe/ knee/ arm/ elbow / best friend’s left pinkie is a bit “funny” today.
Actually we don’t all come up with reasons for not exercising because there are those of you who are “so awesome” at exercising because it makes you feel great. If that is you, you are not welcome here.
Hang on, hang on, I take that back. Please enthusiastically jog/ lunge back over in my direction. You are more than welcome here, just be quietly encouraging Oright? A little less logging your super-runs onto Facebook and a little more explaining how and why exercising works for you. We can learn from you, oh super fit ones. Just please, pretty please, don’t talk to us about your diet if you are on one.
To quote my one super-fit-but-still-inspiring-friend.
I exercise because I took at look at all the research and I am convinced it is the best thing we can do to protect our health.
Word, super-fit friend. Word.
For the rest of us I have this to say- come in a little closer so I can whisper. (We don’t want the fit-bo’s laughing at us do we. Those guys can run fast and their great circulation allows for optimum brain firing wittiness.)
Find something that works for you, anything, and just stick to it.
Yep, this is my new strategy. It is very, superbly, unimpressive in its complexity. And I really do mean anything.
- Maybe you like reliving those white-sneakered, sucking on oranges, Netball days of your youth.
- Maybe you enjoy going to the local gym because peace, quiet, no children!
- Maybe you like swimming laps or water dancing or strutting in circles around the pool at your local gym.
- Maybe you enjoy putting on your make-up and your Lorna Jane’s and taking the long walk to your favourite cafe with a friend.
- Maybe you like running on the treadmill in front of Netflix and then teaching yourself to do 1 real push-up while your kids laugh at you. This example comes from “a friend” of mine.
Because the truth is, as long as you do something, anything, you are doing well. In fact you are a legend. I think that sometimes our anything is not quite impressive enough so we just stick with nothing.
But here is the really important bit, I know you are going to love it.
When you get really sick and tired and bored with doing your anything, come up with something new.
Genius right? But I know that it is easy to try one thing and then eventually stop doing it. That is when we tend to give up.
How do I know this? Because I have lived it people.
So, join in with me? Find your motivation or don’t find it. But let’s just start doing some kind of exercise jiggery, right here, right now, and then find another one when we get sick of it.
If you are going to join in with me, I’d love to hear what you are doing. Yes even those fitspo friends who are are up training for marathons while I am eating croissants and reading the paper in my PJ’s. Leave me a comment to let me know what you will be doing! Excellent.