Moroccan Meatballs Recipe
This is a very easy and delicious meatballs recipe that is really brought alive by the addition of lemon rind and fresh coriander.
It is cooked in a rich tomato based sauce which is perfect for mopping up with bits of crunchy bread.
If I serve this for dinner I tend to make it with couscous as the accompaniment.
Once you try this simple recipe you will want to keep making it! Yum. 🙂
Moroccan meatballs with couscous recipe
1 tbsp olive oil, plus 2 tbsp extra
1 onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, diced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground paprika
500g beef mince
400g can of chopped, peeled tomatoes
300ml of stock
grated rind of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 cup of coriander leaves plus extra
Cooked cous cous to serve
- Pour 1 tbsp of oil in a frypan and add the onion. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently. Add garlic, cumin, ground coriander and paprika and cook for one minute. Allow to cool.
- Mix half the cooked onion mixture with the mince and shape into 12-16 balls with wet hands.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frypan and cook the balls without crowding the pan, over moderate heat for 4 minutes or until browned on all sides. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Place the remaining onion mixture into pan, add tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer. Add meatballs and simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on for half the cooking time and off for the other half.
- Stir in the lemon rind and coriander leaves. Serve over couscous or fresh bread and with extra coriander to garnish.
Prep time 20 mins
Cook time 40 mins
You might also like
Prosciutto wrapped bocconcini with sage leaves, the perfect, simple entree.
Dani B is a food and lifestyle blogger from Melbourne. Read more about Dani B and Eat My Street.