Home-made Waffle Recipe
My three children love and adore waffles. Every time I buy them (always the delicious, buttery, Belgian ones) there are fights about who will eat them and constant requests at every meal time. I am a little concerned though about the high sugar content in some brands, and also the use of preservatives. So I figured it was time I made my own again.
1 1⁄3 cups plain flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons sugar
2 eggs, separated
1⁄2 cup butter, melted
1 3⁄4 cups milk
1. In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix together all dry ingredients.
2. Separate the egg whites and yolks and set aside the yolks. Whisk the whites in a small mixing bowl until firm peaks occur.
3. Add milk and melted butter together and stir in the egg yolks then add this to the dry ingredient mixture and blend.
4. Fold stiff egg whites through the mixture.
5. Ladle mixture into hot waffle iron and cook.
I like to eat them with just some butter smeared over the top but I will add fresh fruit or a berry compote when I serve them for others.
So my little Street-ers will be getting waffles for afternoon tea today.
I think they will be well pleased.