Ever wanted to get out of the house for a coffee, but hesitated because you could not think of somewhere that the kids would be happy? I definitely have. I have three gorgeous, noisy children of varying ages, so when I am looking for a child friendly cafe, I am very fussy.
Berwick is a fantastic, family-friendly suburb, we do family friendly like nowhere else. A lot of the local cafes will happily accommodate you and your little one. But if you really want a cafe where the kids can kick back, hang out and make noise, then here are my picks for the best. You might even spot a Kangaroo, a macaroon or a skate park while you are there.
A gorgeous kids menu and a play room out the back. This place is perfect for Mum’s and the little ones.
64-68 Monbulk Rd, Belgrave VIC 3160
(03) 9754 1437
8. Trail mix Cafe at Lysterfield Lake Park.
This cafe sits on the edge of Lysterfield Lake Park. It is surrounded by walking paths, bike tracks, trees, kangaroos and a stunning lake view. The Cafe is set inside the bike shop and is not fancy or even well decorated but the location is ah-maa-zing. Pop in for a coffee, toasted sandwich or Banana and Nutella toasted wrap.
The kids can run and play in the park while you sip a take away tea or coffee in the park.
Horswood Rd entrance, Narre Warren North.
7. Piggery Cafe, Sherbrooke.
So much perfection going on at the Piggery Cafe; beautiful cakes & breads, delicious menu, perfect coffee, gorgeous view, breathtaking setting. There is also an outdoor play/construction area, bocce green & a view of pigs & emus. This is all let down by the fact that it can be very busy and you might not get a place at the table. Charming service can also get a little frayed at the edges with all the busy-ness. But, this is Shannon Bennet’s beautiful property and it oozes passion, creativity and inspiration.
1 Sherbrooke Rd, Sherbrooke.
6. Providore Patisserie Cafe, Berwick South. Locals seem to love the food and coffee here. The cafe itself is quite small and there is not a lot of room to sit and enjoy your food. The only view is a carpark on one side and a supermarket on the other. But, there is a little playground out the front of this strip of shops. Couple this with the fact that all the French inspired food is made by hand and you might start to understand why it is so popular. When the weather is right, visit here for take away macaroons, pastries, cold pressed juices or cakes. Sit out the front while the kids have a play and enjoy.
1 O’Shea Rd, Berwick South.
5. Kallista Tea Rooms. Kallista Tea Rooms has a beautiful children’s menu, small play area with toys and drawing materials for the kids. Not to mention the gorgeous setting with easy spotting of birdlife and if you are lucky, a local lyrebird. This cafe is surrounded by majestic trees and the ever popular Grant Picnic Ground is near by. After you have finished your morning tea you might like to go for a wander around the local Kallista shops. A visit to enchanting Epoche is a must for hand made dolls, eco friendly wooden toys, felt toys, gifts, books & collectables.
103 Monbulk Rd, Kallista
4. Primary @Pioneer Park, Berwick.
Great menu and coffee in a elegant building that used to house the local primary school. It is set in the heart of Berwick Village, on the town green. The cafe has a wall of glass that opens out onto a sweeping deck with chairs, tables and a view of the local playground. Take a seat, enjoy the sun and watch the kids play on the play equipment while you order from the yummy menu. Good coffee, efficient service and delicious cakes and food. Set in an old school building, locals love Primary @Pioneer Park for a very good reason.
Cnr Lyall Rd and Peel St, Berwick.
3. Homestead Cafe @ The Old Cheese Factory Berwick.
Beautiful surrounds, a Playground on site, a children’s menu and even High Tea for kids. Keep an eye on the opening hours though as Homestead Cafe has limited opening hours during the week and is only open two Saturdays per month.
2. Pane Di Fiore Bakery, Narre Warren North.
I go here all the time with my family. Pane Di Fiore makes the most delicious cakes, pies and pasties including chocolate eclairs that are to die for. I also really like their simple but strong coffee and one of my favourite op shops is near by. Grab a Nutella Donut, a coffee or a sandwich. Sit inside or outside. Bring your bike and scooter and then tootle on down to the nearby playground and skate park. It is a short walk with a gorgeous back drop and a bench seat at the end of it with your name on it.
1. Emerald Bakery Cafe. Spacious and with a great selection of hot or cold food, sandwiches, breads, cakes and cookies. Stay for as long as the children will allow, then take a short walk to the local playground that sits next to the Puffing Billy Train Station. The Sweet Station lolly shop is also across the road and when the weather turns nasty we all love to visit the local Emerald Library.
So that is my top Eight! The best cafes to take your kids to so that you can have a coffee while the kids have some fun. I would love to make it top ten so please let me know your ideas for the last two…..
Dani B xx