Does anyone else try to have a meat free Monday?
I aim to cook a Vegetarian dish at least once a week, although it is not always on a Monday because…. life.
But I am aware of the benefits of eating more vegetables and eating less meat. Benefits for the environment, our waistlines, overall gut health and the household budget. Plus, as a cook, not relying on “meat” can cause you to think creatively and help inspire new recipes.
My favourite dish of the moment is Broccolini in Oyster Sauce with a hint of Chilli.
Here is this weeks Meat Free Monday recipe.
Chickpea & Feta Burgers
1/3 cup of olive oil
1/2 a red onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
400 can Chickpeas, drained.
1 Carrot grated
80g crumbled feta
3/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
1 lemon to serve
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in pan. Cook off onion until softened (about 5 minutes). Add garlic and cook gently for another couple of minutes.
2. Transfer to a food processor. Add drained tin of Chickpeas, grated carrot, Feta and egg and blitz until combined.
3. Stir through breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper as desired.
4. Form into 8 small patties, and fry both sides in olive oil until the outside is crisp and the inside if heated through.
5. Serve with lemon, sliced beetroot, tzatziki and salad.
Or in my home I serve it as part of Toddler Tapas. So easy for little fingers.
Place Chickpea & Feta Burgers on a platter with roma tomatoes, steamed chat potatoes, sliced boiled egg, pieces of cucumber, carrot sticks and wedges of flat bread. Maybe even include individual pots of beetroot or tzatziki dip. Then let them help themselves!