Creme De Menthe Pie Recipe
Love takes many forms, but its essence is good and pure.
I lost a lady that I loved recently. She was generous, smart, fierce, determined, hospitable and she loved cheese and chocolate.
I can see her clearly here in the sadness of hindsight.
She taught me many things. A lot of them to do with the simple traditions of femininity.
She also left behind a lot of her recipes and I am going to attempt to cook some of the more “vintage” ones and share them with you! Some of them are a little bit of fun!
They will not be forgotten. I’m starting here at the very beginning.
Creme De Menthe Pie
- 6 oz (approx 170 grams) Chocolate Ripple Biscuits crushed.
- 3 oz (85 grams) butter, melted.
- 3 teaspoon gelatine
- ½ cup water
- 6 egg yolks
- 2½ cups cream
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ½ to ¾ cup creme de menthe
- For the base: Combine finely crushed biscuit crumbs with melted butter. Press over base 7 x 11 inch slice tin.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- For the filling: Soften gelatine in the cold water, place in a bath of hot water and stir until dissolved. Allow to cool.
- Beat egg yolk and sugar together until thick and creamy.
- Beat in cooled gelatine and Creme de Menthe; continue beating until mixture is light and creamy.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Pour filling over biscuit base; refrigerate until set.
Yes, it is a green dessert. I mentioned it was an old recipe didn’t I?
But we are meant to eat more green foods though so this recipe really is perfect.
So my husband was certainly feeling very nostalgic about this recipe for creme de menthe pie.
“There’s a certain nostalgia and romance in a place you left.” David Guterson
But is it worthy in its own right I hear you ask?
Well why don’t you make it and let me know what you think.